Viewable Engagement Time (//Signal) is a new technology that allows publishers to sell inventory based on engagement instead of impressions alone.
How does //Signal work?
Sovrn in-view ads only serve when at least 50% of the ad pixels are in the reader’s viewport for one second or more. Once the in-view ad is served, //Signal tracks 10+ user signals to determine where and how users are engaged on the page.
Each time the ad unit is in view for a predefined //Signal threshold, typically 20-30 seconds, a new ad is served.
By enabling //Signal, a publisher can serve multiple impressions per pageview for ad zones that are verified as in-view of an active reader.
Why try in-view ads with //Signal?
- 100% additive revenue – add an in-view, //Signal-enabled unit into existing white space on your website or enable //Signal on already existing zones
- Sticky feature – allows ad unit to “stick” in view as a reader scrolls along content, generating more Viewable Engaged Time and additional ad reload opportunities
- Increase available inventory – multiply available impressions per zone without increasing pageviews
- Boost viewability rate – the ad industry is moving towards viewable-only selling, so start boosting your viewability rate now
- Premium CPMs – sell your viewable inventory at a premium to eager buyers
- Beat ad clutter – make more money from your site without increasing the number of ads on your site
- Monetize whitespace – try In View units with //Signal in existing white space on your website
One publisher in the //Signal beta program saw a lift of 56% in total revenue from one //Signal enabled zone and 51% increase in totally available inventory from that single zone.
You can try out //Signal today on any Sovrn display unit right inside of Meridian.
Here’s how to create your in-view ad tags:
- Log in to your Meridian account
- Go to Tools > Ad Tags and click on the Create New Ad Tag button
- Name your ad tag. We recommend including the ad size, “//Signal” and “sticky” (if selected) along with any other relevant descriptors.
- Select “Display” for Ad Type
- Select ad size
- Configure your tag as you normally would, adding a floor price, passback tag, etc.
- Under “//Signal Options” select “Add //Signal In-View Technology” – this will make sure your ad only serves an impression when it is at least 50% in view for greater than 1 second
- Select the amount of Viewable Engaged Time you want for this zone – the lower the better. This will allow your ad to reload a new creative (and serve another impression) after every 30 seconds – 1 minute of //Signal.
- Select “Sticky” if you want the unit to remain In-View as the user scrolls. This allows you to ensure your ads remain viewable during the entire reader session and generate multiple ad reloads based on //Signal.