To traffic your //Connect code via Google Ad Manager, you will need to use a 1×1 ad unit. You can either setup a new 1×1 ad unit, or you can edit an existing one.
There are five total sets of instructions in this article:
- How to edit an existing ad unit to include //Connect
- How to create a new ad unit to include //Connect
- The best way to generate the 1×1 ad unit code
- Tips on setting up your line items
- Setting up your line item creative
These steps will help you traffic the //Connect code via a line item targeted to an existing 1×1 ad unit. As a best practice, we recommend using a 1×1 ad unit not targeted by any other line item.
1) Use an existing 1×1 ad unit
2) Find the line item targeted to the 1×1 ad unit in Google Ad Manager by navigating in Delivery section or searching for that line item
3) Add the creative that will be set up for the 1×1 line item
4) If you’re using a new creative, use the custom creative type to deliver the the Sovrn //Connect code
5) Be sure to uncheck ‘safe frames’ which is usually checked to enabled by default.
1) Create the unique ad units targeted to custom ad unit size 1×1 to enable the desired custom behavior (ex: Sticky ad units, reload, etc.)
IMPORTANT: All other ‘Ad Unit’ settings can be left to default. Do not change anything here.
2) Do not include any refresh functionality. //Connect will take care of that on its own.
3) This new 1×1 ad unit would ideally not be targeted by any other regular line items in your DFP network.
4) For easy reference, we recommend that the code is the same as the name.
These instructions will help you generate DFP GPT ad unit code to place on header & body of site page(s).
1) For //Signal reload functionality you need to start in the Ad Units screen. Open up the ad unit that you want to edit and click “Generate Requests”
2) Select Google Publisher Tag and click Continue.
3) Uncheck ‘enable single request’ for the 1×1 ad unit to be called properly upon reload instead of initial pageview.
4) Leave all the other default options in place all the way to the last screen where you can copy the generated code and paste the header code into the <head> of your web page and body code into the <body> section of your web page.
1) Create Line Item
2) Type = Sponsorship
3) Targeting 1×1 size
4) Start / End Dates
5) $0.00 CPM (Our recommendation is to start at $0.00)
6) Target the 1×1 ad unit created in the previous steps.
7) You can add your creative (where you will paste the 3rd party ad code, ex. Sovrn //Connect) to the line item as a part of your save process.
8) Or you can just save the line item and add the creative separately or at a later time.
1) Set up the creative as third party creative, give it a name, insert the //Connect script tag provided by Sovrn into the creative settings, and uncheck ‘Enable SafeFrames’
2) Once the ad unit code is on the site and the Line item or Order that the line item is organized under is approved, then it should begin delivery typically within the hour
Here are some reference links from Google for more implementation related information:
- Ad Manager documentation – create an ad unit
- Ad Manager documentation – generate ad tags (ad unit code)
- Ad Manager documentation – create a line item
- Ad Manager documentation – traffic 3rd party creatives
If you need greater help, reach out to our publisher support team for the help that you deserve.