In December 2021, Google launched an algorithm update impacting product review pages, with the goal of ensuring that only authentic, high-quality, and useful reviews are shown to users. Because shoppers have become so reliant on product reviews, quality is key.
Google’s announcement introduced two new best practices that are clearly intended to discourage fake reviews:
- Product reviews should provide evidence that the product in question has actually been used by the person reviewing it, to reinforce the authenticity of the review. Examples cited include visuals, audio, or other links demonstrating experience with the product.
- Product reviews should include links to multiple sellers, to give the reader options for purchasing the product from the merchant of their choice.
These best practices are incorporated into Google’s documentation page for writing high-quality product reviews. You can read all the details here, but highlights include:
- Demonstration of knowledge about the products reviewed to show expertise.
- Share quantitative measurements about how a product stacks up in various categories of performance.
- Explain what sets a product apart from its competitors.
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of a particular product based on original research.
If you’re already publishing high-quality commerce content, these new best practices from Google shouldn’t be a problem but it’s always good to understand how your content is being evaluated.
Product reviews can be a great addition to your commerce content strategy because they simplify the comparison shopping process for your users and drive more affiliate revenue in the process.
Provide multiple sellers to follow best practices
Improve your search results by offering multiple retailer options to your readers while improving their shopping experience. Comparison shopping has become a way of life for today’s consumers. In fact, more than 90% of online shoppers read online reviews and compare prices before making a purchase.
Sovrn has solutions to meet the second new requirement from Google: price comparisons and linking to multiple sellers. We offer price comparison tools for publishers, whether you’re looking for easy implementation or direct product feeds.
- With Sovrn Commerce Comparisons, it’s easy to get started. We’ll identify an existing product URL and display alternative retailers selling the same product.
- With Sovrn Commerce Product API, you get access to over 500 merchant product feeds and 150M+ products plus additional customization options and functionality. Detailed product and merchandise data integrates directly into your CMS to help drive more informed content decisions and increase conversions.
Price comparisons can be seamlessly integrated into various content types, including buying guides, “top gifts” listicles, product reviews and recommendations, daily deal promotions, and much more. Depending on the solution you choose, you can even customize the style and layout to work smoothly within your content flow.
Our price comparison solutions make it easy to deliver a great shopping experience for your audience by automatically:
- Displaying a variety of merchants who are selling the same product, along with current pricing
- Updating availability and pricing information in real time
- Flagging out-of-stock products and replacing them with alternate offers
- Geo-locating users to serve up local merchants and pricing in local currency
Improve your search results and grow your revenue!
Price comparisons aren’t just a good business practice — they can also boost your affiliate earnings. In fact, price comparisons can drive up to 179% higher earnings per click and up to 200% more clicks and conversions.
If you’re ready to see Sovrn’s price comparison solutions in action, just request a demo by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will be happy to help.