At Sovrn, we’re constantly working to help publishers take more control of their business and accelerate growth through effective monetization. Our latest innovation in the advertising marketplace gives publishers the power to drive more revenue by identifying, targeting, and pricing their most valuable ad placements.
We had the opportunity to showcase this new tool as part of Publishing Tech Talk, a publisher-focused event hosted by the Association of Online Publishers (AOP). Take a look at the video below to learn how //Signal predicts and shares your ad quality scores with buyers to help you strike the best deals.
Rebalance the Equation
Programmatic buyers optimize their budgets through algorithms that factor in multiple data points, including ad quality. Bids are modified based on:
- The environment in which the ad is served (i.e., the device or specific page where the ad will appear), and
- How that environment may impact the advertiser’s outcome (e.g., the likelihood that the ad will be seen).
Publishers, on the other hand, find it difficult to capture, process, and take action on this data. While both vendor solutions and internal publisher tools have attempted to address this, they fall short of providing a true solution for publishers because they are either too manual and resource-intensive or overly simplistic.
By providing publishers with access to the same data that advertisers use, in real time, //Signal levels the playing field and enables publishers to capture greater value through automation.
//Signal’s on-page tag captures how real users are engaging across all pages and ad placements and uses this as the basis of its prediction engine. The predictions factor in multiple variables, including the specific page a user visits – so they are very granular. This granularity increases the efficiency and accuracy of predictions, which are automatically delivered directly to the ad server – and to programmatic buyers.
How does it work?
- Understand buyer trends. After grouping your ad inventory into segments, you can begin to see how much buyers value different quality levels. For example, across all of Sovrn’s publishers, we see that every 10% increase in viewability drives a 38% increase in CPM.
- Increase yields by adding pricing rules. Armed with these insights, you can begin to price your high-quality ad inventory appropriately. Publishers who use //Signal see CPM increase by 7.5% when they apply our recommendations to their high-value inventory.
- Save time optimizing your campaigns. Publishers can use //Signal to create new deals – or service existing deals more efficiently. With more granular predictions, our average publisher sees an increase of 49% in highly viewable inventory available to target – allowing you to hit advertisers’ KPIs with fewer impressions.
- Go beyond viewability to harness the power of user attention. Viewability was a great first step for the industry, but just because an ad is visible doesn’t mean that it’s actually seen. Today’s publishers need metrics that go further. //Signal allows you to group ads by “engaged time,” meaning not only was the ad viewable, but the user was also paying attention to the content. In third party studies, engaged time has been shown to drive substantial performance improvements in both direct response and brand awareness, compared to viewable time alone.
To learn more about our //Signal technology, visit sovrn.com/signal.